If you’re looking for a simple approach (or shortcut) to finding and replacing text in Word, you’ll love this guide.
The following is a brief guide to accomplishing this task:
To search and replace text in Word, press Ctrl+H to display the Search and Replace dialog box. In the Find What: field, type the word you want to replace. Enter a replacement word in the Replace with: field. Click Replace to replace the matches one by one, or Replace All to replace them all at once.
For more detailed instructions with pictures, let’s go step by step.
Relevant article: How to search in Word – step by step
Step-by-step plan for searching and replacing in Word
- Start the Word document in which you want to search and replace text.
- Press Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace dialog box.
- In the Find what : (Search for:) to enter the text or word you want to replace.
- In the Replace with: text box, type a replacement text or word.
alt=The ctrl+H key combination for the Find and Replace dialog box width=560 height=230 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />
- Click the Replace button to replace the first instance found and find the next. Use this button if you want to replace the corresponding instances one after the other.
- Click the Replace All button to replace all matching instances. Of course, use this button if you want to replace all corresponding instances at once.
- Click Next Search to find the first corresponding instance of the word you searched for. The word makes the next corresponding instance grey.
- When you use the Replace All button, Word displays a message that the search is complete and recalculates the number of replacements made.
- Click the OK button in the message window.
- After replacing, click the Close button to close the dialog box.
alt=Find and replace in Word width=560 height=230 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618797051_894_How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />
Follow these steps to search and replace text in Word.
Safety tips: Save your work before clicking Replace All. So if it turns out that clicking the Replace All button was a mistake, you can undo it by pressing Ctrl+Z.
Looks like it: How to search and replace in Word for Mac
Find and replace text formatting
What makes Word’s Find and Replace feature so enjoyable is its ability to find and replace fonts and text formatting.
For example, you can B. Change all underlined formatting to italics. The text itself does not change, only the formatting changes from underlined to italic.
Applying this tip is a little tricky, so you have to be very careful!
Without further ado, let’s start with finding and replacing text formatting in Word.
Our example finds all underlined formatting and replaces it with italics.
- Press Ctrl+Home to place the insertion point pointer at the top of the document.
- Press Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace dialog box with the Replace tab active.
- Click the Advanced button to expand the dialog box.
alt=Click on Advanced to expand the dialog width=560 height=230 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618797052_868_How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />.
- Click in the Find What text box: (Find out what:) and leave the field blank.
- Click the Format button and select Font from the drop-down list.
alt=Click the More button to expand the dialog box width=568 height=471 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618797053_348_How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />
- The Replace Font dialog box appears. Select the format you want to search for. In our example, click underline: and select a single underline from the list.
alt=replace font dialog width=422 height=510 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618797055_3_How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />
- Click OK to close the Font Replacement dialog box and return to the Find and Replace dialog box.
- Click in the Replace with text box: (Replaced with:) and leave it blank.
- Click Format again and select Font from the drop-down list.
- The Replace Font dialog box appears. In the Font type: list, select Italic.
- From the list, select Alignment style: None.
What we’ve done here is find all the underlines and replace them with italics.
alt=How to search and replace in Word plus label width=422 height=510 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618797056_571_How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />
- Click OK to close the Font Replacement dialog box.
- Once you have performed all of the above steps, the Find and Replace dialog box should look like the following figure:
alt=search and replace in word width=568 height=471 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618797058_764_How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />
- Click Replace All to find and replace formatting throughout the document. A window will appear informing you that the task is complete and how many replacements have been made. Now when you look in a Word document, all underlined text turns into italic text.
- Click OK to close the message window.
- Once you have successfully replaced the formatting, click in the Find What text box: (What to look for:) and click the No formatting button. Do the same for the Replace with: text box. This step removes the formatting parameter for the next search and replace operation.
alt=Find and replace in Word width=568 height=471 data-recalc-dims=1 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618797059_198_How-to-do-Find-and-Replace-in-Word-with-Shortcut.png />
These are basic and advanced methods for finding and replacing text in MS Word.
frequently asked questions
Which hotkey is required for search and replace?
in our office…
How do I find a word in a document using the Find function? What is the shortcut to open the Replace dialog box?
than a word of firmware…
What key combination do I find in Word?
en-us theme keyboard
Feedback,how to replace words in word macfind and replace in word shortcutfind and replace in word 2010find and replace in word 2019find and replace in word 2020find and replace in word 2016,People also search for,how to replace words in word mac,find and replace in word shortcut,find and replace in word 2010,find and replace in word 2019,find and replace in word 2020,find and replace in word 2016,find and replace in word mac 2019,find and replace shortcut excel